Young carers are children and young people under 18 who provide regular and on-going care and emotional support to a family member who is physically or mentally ill, disabled or misuses substances.
The young person may be providing
- Personal Care - assisting with bathing, dressing or the toilet
- Practical Care – helping with the housework, shopping, preparing meals, caring for siblings;
- Emotional Care – listening to / talking through issues and difficulties for the cared for person
With so many adult responsibilities, young carers often miss out on opportunities that other children have to play and learn.
If your child or someone you know is a young carer, you can contact the Young Carers Project below for advice or activities for young carers in Lambeth.
Young Carers Project:
The Young Carers Project is a service offered to young carers age 5-18 by The Carers Hub Lambeth, a charity offering services to anyone who provides unpaid care and support, either living in Lambeth or caring for someone in Lambeth. Referrals to the Young Carers Project are accepted from all sources including self-referrals.
If your child is taking on what would usually be adult duties and responsibilities and this was impacting on their own life then this would be an appropriate referral to the Young Carers Project. The project would then meet with you and your child to complete a short assessment to identify what impact this is having on the young carer.
What the Young Carers Project provides:
- Information, advice, support for young carers, their families and professionals
- Educational 1:1 support / identifying young carers in schools
- Activities: day trips during the school holidays
- Youth Clubs
- Social Evenings for 13+
Call Young Carers Project on 0207 501 8972 or email email@example.com