Do you care for someone in your family who is ill or disabled?
Young carers are children and young people under 18 who provide regular and on-going care and emotional support to a family member who is physically or mentally ill, disabled or misuses substances.
You may be helping with:
- dressing or the toilet
- helping with the housework
- shopping, preparing meals
- caring for siblings
- listening to / talking through issues and difficulties for the cared for person
- interpreting for the cared for person in difficult circumstances
With so many adult responsibilities, you probably often miss out on opportunities to play and learn.
Do you want to meet other young people who care for someone?
There is support in your area and online.
Join Babble - an online community for young carers (for those under 18)
Join Matter – an online community for those aged 16 – 25
You can also contact the Young Carers Project on 020 7501 8972 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice or activities for young carers in Lambeth.
Young Carers Project provide:
- Information, advice, support for young carers and their families
- Educational 1:1 support / identifying young carers in schools
- Activities: day trips during the school holidays
- Youth Clubs
- Social Evenings for 13+
Or if you want to talk to someone, Childline provide a free helpline on 0800 1111.